Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restart Remote Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

amhainen

Technical User
Oct 5, 2011
US
I have an Netgear FVS338 VPN router that often loses communication. The SNMP reboot or restart seems like an appealing solution except the time I really need it is when communication is down and I can't issue the command remotely. The router is on a public static IP, so I can still ping to and access the modem. Perhaps I could use SNMP with port forwarding?

My solution now has been to use 120V wall outlet timers (example uses might be Christmas tree lights or security lights). This works, but it's not that elegant. Is there a more acceptable solution? Are there routers with scheduled restarts?

Thanks for the help.

(P.S. Can someone also explain basics of using SNMP? I think I understand the concept of a specific OID for each item in the tree, but I haven't found much help on software. Can I just run CMD and then, for example, issue "SNMP 192.168.1.1 -U admin [get/set] <OID>"? Is there specialized software for this? Thx again.)

I will ignore the question of why you need to restart a VPN router so much.

So you can ping the device but nothing else?

It is possible, if the router allows an SNMP set to cause the router to reboot, to schedule a "cron" or "at" job to send a set to reboot this device.

First step is to figure out which mib object restarts the router.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back