Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Response.Write looping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGresko

Programmer
Apr 24, 2002
US

I have a page where I'm running a process that is going to take roughly 20 minutes. I want to give the user feedback every few minutes to show the process status.

I'm doing this by using response.write to list out process actions and then use response.flush at certain key points to output the status statements. This is working great.

My problem is arising from the page spontaniously trying to reload itself after about ten munites, which causes the process to kick off again (while the first process continues)... causing waves of processing ... not good!!!! Before the first "real" process completes there are multiple duplicates following behind like echos screwing up the data and eventually overloading the system,

I tried to set a flag to show the process is running and prevent the echos from running, but it resets the flag when the page reloads.

The best I can determine is that the response.write output isn't qualifying as enough to sustaine the page load so the stream refreshes or breaks and reloads over and over.

I've tried increasing the timeout properity but it has no effect.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back