Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resource in different servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp22015

Programmer
May 19, 2003
US
Hello all

I am trying to build some Crystal reports (ver 9) for our coldfusion (MX, win 2000) application. However, this is how the servers look like:

sqlserver 2000 = server1
coldfusion server MX = server2
crystal report 9 dev version = my local workstation.

The transactions between the server1 and server2 is fine for the application. My question is how to set up in order to call the report which now reside on my workstation from coldfusion code which reside on a different server (server2)?

Thank you in advance for helping me.

hp22015

ColdFusion can't read files directly from any filesystem other than the one that's on the server it's currently running.

The only solutions that I know of to allow what you're trying to do are:

1) map the filesystem on your local workstation to a virtual directory on your ColdFusion server. ColdFusion would be able to access anything on your workstation as if it were stored in that virtual directory. One huge disadvantage is that, if you ever shut down your workstation, it tends to bog down the server that's trying to virtually map to it... as it continually pings the directory to try to determine if it's valid.

2) run a HTTP server on your local workstation, which serves your report, and then have a template on your ColdFusion server do a CFHTTP to your workstation to grab the report via URL. The disadvantage is that CFHTTP is typically much slower than direct file access.

3) run an FTP server on your local workstation, and have a template on your ColdFusion server do a CFFTP to your workstation and grab the report, FTP'ing it back to the ColdFusion server's file system.

4) run a scheduled (or manually fired) task on your workstation that transfers the report to your ColdFusion server (FTP, or straight file copy if they're the same operating system)

5) run the report on the ColdFusion server instead of your local workstation.

-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back