Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resource conflict in XP Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripyt

Technical User
Jan 11, 2008
US
I have Compaq Presario v5000. At start up it comes up with

ERROR: resource conflict PCI network controller in slot 03 Bus 06 Device 02 Function 00

ERROR: resource conflict PCI network controller in slot 04 Bus 06 Device 06 Function 00

In device manager both of my network cards are found, but I am unable to install the drivers for them.

I have flashed the BIOS, took the motherboard battery out to reset the BIOS, reinstalled Windows, and still have this problem.

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks.

Did you just recently install a second NIC? Is this NIC a plug and play card? Do you have Plug and Play OS enabled in your BIOS (IF you are able to do so)?

Try removing one of the NICs (if they aren't both hardwired onto the motherboard). After you have removed a nic, reboot. Do you still get the error? (You shouldn't). If the driver for the first NIC needs to be loaded, Windows should detect the card, install the drivers, if they are available, or ask you for the driver media.

After you get the first NIC working, shutdown, and try to install the second one. If the error returns, you may need to do 1 of 2 things. Call Compaq, if your pc is still under warranty (if it isn't they will ask you if you want to spend $99.99 for a year's warranty OR $49.99 for a 2 week warranty (I think that's what they told me the length was) I laughed at the guy on the other end.

OR

2) You can get help (FREE) by logging onto their support page and getting help via a web chat. But you would have to have either 1 NIC working or a second pc in which to type from. They at least try to help.

Had an issue with a USB camera not working on a Pavillion SR1625NX. Turns out the camera and the pc didn't like each other.

As I'm not familar with this machine, if you have run out of resources 9easily done). try diabling these is not used:

Parrallel Port (or change to EPP, not ECP or EPP/ECP)
Serial Port

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

There was nothing done to this computer. It is the same as when it was bought from the store. I did try to take out the wireless network card and it still came up with 1 error for the integrated network card. So I put the wireless card back in and the same error for both cards still came up. I also tried to uninstall the modem IRQ in device manager to free up a resource but it did not work. Is there any other way to free up a resource besides uninstalling it in device manager? Thanks for the help.

You would have to go into each network card's properties, and manually change the resources assigned.

They are probably trying to use the same IRQ. For some unknown reason.

See if you can change their IRQ's to something non conflicting

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Worth a try:

go into the BIOS setup, there look for the following MENU option: PLUG&PLAY OS - set this to NO (although XP is a Plug&Play aware OS, sometimes it hickups on the IRQ assignments)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Still nothing has worked. Any other ideas? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back