Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resotore Oracle database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech24

Technical User
Nov 22, 2005
US
how can i restore a database from .dmp file and then do an IMPort to recover. I'm trying to do a test reinstalling a database server from scratch but the person who used to administer the database is no longer in the office and now i have to do it and the due date is next month. I restored from tapes the .dmp file but now don't know ho to to the import..
can anyone help me? thanks

Tech24 said:
How can i restore a database from .dmp file and then do an IMPort to recover?
First of all, there is a big difference between a database restore and a database recovery:[ul][li]You can recover a database (i.e., place the database back to its most recently commited transaction) only with the RECOVER DATABASE command (or an invocation of that process via Oracle's RMAN [Recovery Manager] utility. Such an action requires:[/li][ul][li]The database is in ARCHIVELOG MODE.[/li][li]A full (cold or hot) backup of database files.[/li][li]An unbroken set of both archived and on-line redo log files since that full database backup.[/li][/ul][li]You can restore data either physically (which requires a restore of all database files from the same backup) or logically using either Oracle "imp" (import) or "impdp" (data pump).[/li][/ul]

If all you have are ".dmp" files, you cannot recover the database...The most you can hope for is a restore (not a recovery) of your data, to the point in time where the .dmp file was created.

The other question you must deal with is whether the ".dmp" file was created with the Oracle "exp" (export) utility or the Oracle "expdp" (data pump) utility...and the .dmp files created from those two utilities are not compatible with one another.

You can, however, get "Quick Start" familiarization with either utility using the o/s prompt "exp help=y" or "expdp help=y" commands, respectively.

Let us know how things go.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back