Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resolving Exchange 5.5 mailbox backup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvsharpe

Technical User
May 11, 2002
US
Hello All,

Before I start to seriously investigate other enterprise backup alternatives I decided to take one more stab at resolving my Exchange 5.5 mailbox backup problems with BENT 8.5 3572. Here are the particulars:

* Exchange 5.5 server-SP4 running on W2K Adv. Srv. SP2 This server also function as a Active Directory DC.

* BENT 8.5 3572 running on W2K adv. srv. SP2.

I have tried NUMEROUS fixes from both this board, Veritas site and others. I have verified the following:

Created a mailbox for the BENT service account. BENT service account has admin privilege for the entire site.

Installed Outlook 97 client on BENT server. tested email functionality by lgging into the backup server and successfully sending and receiving email using the BENT service account.

Removed password file and recreated. rebooted both servers after removing password file just to be sure.

Reinstalled and verified the Exchange Agent and W2k remote agent are successfully installed and activated with the proper serial numbers.

Not to mention...reinstalled Backup Exec, reinstalled both W2K and Exchange 5.5 service packs numerous times and read many Veritas Tech notes regarding exchange backups.

I've noticed that this problem has been posted on this board since early 2001, I did go back any further than that, and it seems to be quite common.

Is there ANYONE out there that successfully is backing up exchange mailboxes located on a remote server? What would you suggest I do next short of using another product. I have attempted to resolve this problem for the past few months and now I'm ready to call it quits. I have learned to live with verify errors, access denied errors occuring every few months until you reset the password file again, and other BENT wierd behavior. but backing up Exchange mailboxes just should not be this difficult!

Hello,

I went through the same problem when I installed Backup Exec Exchange.

I contacted Veritas support and this is the procedure they gave me.

Please refer to the following steps to configure Exchange mailbox backup.

A) On Exchange server

1) Create one new Mailbox enabled user ( bkadmin )

2) Add "bkadmin" to Domain Admin & Local Administrator groups

3) Start Exchange Administrator utility and grant bkadmin user permissions on site object (Admin Role)

B ) (On Media Server)

1) Log on using bkadmin to exchange domain

2) Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service

3) Send Mail to some different user

4) From Exchange server, copy EDBBCLI.DLL file to \winnt\system32 (to the Backup Exec server)

(it is very essential that EDBBCLI.DLL file to be exactly the same version
on both the Exchange server and the BackupExec server)

5) Copy MAPI32.DLL from Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt to Veritas\Backup Exec\ NT

6) Stop all the Backup Exec services

7) Rename the bewinui.uni file to bewinui.old ( Path= Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\DATA )

8) Restart all the backup exec service

9) Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as bkadmin

10) Confirm that Exchange Administrator utility is installed and connecting to exchange server

Also make sure that you are running the most current Build which is Build 3878.
You can download it from here:

Hope this helps you out..
mot98
[pc]

"Every day I learn something new, and forget 10 things I learned long ago!"

mot98,

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to rectify the problem with exchange by running BENT on the same server as exchange. I have a small shop so it's no big deal. Thanks.

rvsharpe,

Have you tried upgrading to 8.6? Did Im suprised that they have not suggested that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back