Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resolution/Refreshrate drops after each restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charliesz

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
CA
Hi there.

I have no clue what i've done but now each time i start my computer up, my resolution is 640x480 with 60Hz Refresh Rate, so i have to change it back to normal res/rr each time.

Any suggestions?

Hi.
Check for the last version of your video driver, this may be the problem.

Good Luck.

Thanks Yamacha.

I updated the driver and now its ok.

But , now i noticed some other programs do no save settings after reboot. I.E: Norton Antivirus enables "Auto Protect" each restart...so i have to disable it each time. oh man, i dont want to reinstall WIndows but apparently thats something i'll just have to do.

Thanks again.

Instead of using the icon to Disable Norton Auto Protect, select Configure, and disable Auto Protect from the configuration menu.

This seems like a bad time to be considering disabling this feature.

Heh, actually now my video is dropping again. It worked once after i updatred the driver. The 2nd time after reboot my video is back at 640x480.

Set yourself up as an administator on the machine. Go to Control panel > Users . Add a user, put in your username and set yourself to have Administrator rights. That solved the same problem for me.

Hope it helps.

This is a special case, some times, the video refresh in Hz is not equal at the system in Setup, or directly in the monitor setup (the buttons at front).
Check if your monitor is really compatible with the resolution that you are using.

Good Luck.

Refresh rate of 85Hz was set previously and worked well before i did something.

I'm logged in as an administrator. Still no luck. Same refresh rate and resolution.

Occasionally, after reboot resolution stays the way i set it previously. I am sure i have no viruses or trojans, ive scanned my system.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks ALOT so far.

Just to eliminate all possibilities you have scanned for viruses but have you scanned for Spyware and Adware?

I have seen these things do some pretty unreal things to peoples computers.

Also the comment from bcastner about disabling Autoprotect is very valid. I have spent the last week at customer sites cleaning out viruses because people have disabled their Antivirus software and not Updated Windows.

You can get Spybot and Adaware to check your system at:

Just search for them.

Most of the resolution settings come from the Display configuration and not the video board.

You video board is likely capable of outstanding refresh rates and horizontal and vertical settings.

But if the monitor does not support these settings in its .inf file the settings are of little value and will be reset.

Download a new monitor driver file, check to enable the blocking of video modes it cannot support, and set an appropriate refresh value.

I installed Nvidia latest chipset update and it resolved(so far) the problem.
Thank you all for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back