Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resolution probs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toraz

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
DE
Hi,
I've just bought a new 19" monitor to replace my 15" that i've had for a good few years.
My question is do you have to reinstall games if you change your monitor because most of them play ok once into the actual game but the front end where you select level/options etc is screwed right up on most of them....either to big for the screen or offset to the left or right!!!

No. You just need to adjust the screen size (resolution). Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel double-click Display and go to the Settings tab. You'll want to make sure you're using 800x600 or 1024x768 for games.

The higher the resolution, the more stress you put on the video card. So, you might find it running slower if the card you have is outdated for the game. It's not uncommon to be using 1152x864 or higher on 19-inch screens.
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Spot on cdogg I have met many people who have upgraded to larger monitors (up to 21") only to be horrified at the effect it has had on their gaming, turning a smooth role playing game into jerky and unplayable, they have then had to upgrade their graphics card to suit!!
A large screen does not always provide for better gameplay on its own.

2ndtonunn,

Good point & I totally agree with you. I'm not sure why you thought I said a "large screen" = "better performance". In my first post, I said:

"The higher the resolution, the more stress you put on the video card"

So, if your card can't handle higher resolutions (aka "larger screen size"), then you would either need to upgrade your video card or play games at lower resolutions. That's all I was trying to say...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Agree with you cdogg just underlining your points to Toraz, not contradicting..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back