Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resolution issues from Photoshop to InDesign 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyThirdEye

Technical User
Dec 2, 2008
US
People have been really helpful in this forum so far, so I'll post another question I have:

I'm trying to transfer jpg images from photoshop to indesign and the resolution always looks screwed up in InDesign. When I save the photoshop image as something larger than the dimensions in InDesign, with a dpi of 72, and then scale it down proportionally, it looks OK. But I don't understand why making the photo the correct size at 300dpi in photoshop makes it look terrible and pixilated in InDesign. Is it just the way it displays and it would actually print well?

I should also note that the images I'm working with start out as about 46x32inches at 72dpi.

Thanks!

...firstly indesign uses a proxy preview image to display graphics, this is to speed up screen rendering...

...if you choose view > overprint or view > display performance > high quality, graphics then render to screen better, but at the expense of time to calculate the high resolution...

...it therefore slows indesign down, especially on slow computers and very large documents if you choose to do it document wide, you can do it to one image at a time or a selection of images by right clicking and choosing display performance > high quality...

...to get rid of object level display performances you need to then choose view > display performance > clear object level display settings...

...there is a shortcut by way of right clicking anywhere on the document (without anything selected) or with an object selected to bring up a contextual menu...

...when importing 72 dpi graphics (or any bitmap graphics) you need to be aware of the info palettes effective resolution figures, when scaling down...

...in indesign this figure increases as you scale down, and reduces as you scale up...

Andrew

...also to add...

...importing 300 dpi graphics (at actual size) is fine and will generally print fine...

...of course a 300 dpi graphic doesn't always mean a 'quality' image when you begin to talk about color balance, raster text, out of focus etc...

...your always better to judge an images quality in photoshop as opposed to a layout packages display render...

...so long as you have your color settings synchronized across your adobe applications (via Bridge) then they should all look the same and output the same...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back