Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyMacaroni

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Whats the best way to resize pictures without losing quality? Many thanks for anyones help with this

Hi Tony,

I'm afraid resizing a graphic always loses some quality, pro rata to how much you resize by, with reducing usually causing the greater problems.

The easiest way to resize is to let PSP choose the type by setting the Resize Type to Smart Size from the drop down box. If you want to try the other options ... With photos or complex graphics, Bicubic might work best if you're enlarging and Bilinear if you're reducing. If your graphic consists of more solid objects/blocks of colour, Pixel resize is worth trying. Bicubic and Bilinear both need 16 million colours/24 bit. Use Colours/Increase Colour Depth if necessary. If you put up copies of your graphic (Window/Duplicate) on screen, you can try each method and compare the results.

If the loss of quality isn't too great, using the Effects/Sharpen after resizing might help, other than that it's usually a case of 'tidying it up' by hand using the paintbrush etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help ...

LRH

Just to add to what LRH said; one of the reasons for graphics coming out really badly after resizing / editing is because of a low colour depth (like 256). Up-ing the colors to 16 million is a must before any resizing / editing.

=)

PetitPal.

Thanks for your help on this one, I've got my piccys sorted now!

:-V When I resize my pictures I paste the picture or insert it into MS word and view it at whatever size I need then I print screen. The next step is pasting it into PSP and then crop it. This has solved the resizing problems.

All depends on the algorithms that the re-size code uses...

=)

PetitPal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back