Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resizing a massive picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitaloverdose

Programmer
Jan 29, 2006
GB
Hi, ive got a massive picture of the earth that i need to scale down but its to big to open (ive got 2gb ram). Does anyone know how i could manage to do this?
thnks.

How big is the picture???? if you can't open it how do you expect to resize it??? Do you want to resize it length and width wise or depth wise????

In other words, keep the same picture information in a physically smaller picture in terms of length and width, or keep the same photo size (length and width) in a smaller file size.

You could attempt to use the batch processing from the file menu, and try to resize it that way, without having to open it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

- Im making a 3D animation of the earth the picture is 43200 x 21600.
- Bcause i cant be the only person who has needed to resize a pic to large to open + i have seen programs before that were designed to handle large pics before.
- i want to resize the dimentions of the picture.

That's a 900 mega-pixel image. If you printed it out at 300dpi it would be 12 foot x 6 foot. Where the heck did you get it from?

You might find you can do this with a batch program (or PSP in batch mode), but it's still going to have to load the original image somehow - probably involving much thrashing of the disk as it caches bits of it to virtual memory.

Frankly, it's probably easier to go out and find another picture of the earth that's a more practical size to work with.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

What version of Paint Shop Pro do you have? I bet version X will handle a file of that dimention.

You could also try the batch process as stated by someone else here. Just open PSP and go to the FILE menu to check out the batch change process.

Good luck,

Don't try to open such a large file in PSP, it simply won't be able to handle it. Batch processing it is probably the only way to go in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back