Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize vs. Resample

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMax

Technical User
Sep 14, 2003
US
Hey Crew...

[How is everyone?...haven't been here in a while.]

So my CD is finished (the music, that is)...& the 16 page insert booklet almost complete (put together in Illustrator 10.) All of my images & photos had been resized & resampled in Photoshop to finished size; & placed in the design scheme at that size (&…they look fine…lots of detail & clarity.) Then, at the last minute, I decided to add two more. They were both logos (one was the logo of my project studio...the other was the logo of the mastering engineers studio.) They were both 300ppi tiffs...but a bit large for the appropriate space.

So...in my laziness...I placed them...latched onto the bounding box; & shrunk them 'till they looked just right.

My question is...is there anything wrong with this approach? Illustrator obviously doesn't resample them...they probably just resize them, which would in turn change the resolution. Illustrator obviously gives you this option…but is it OK, or not good? What does Illustrator actually do in this regard (when images are expanded or shrunk); & is it OK in terms of the commercial printing process?

Thanks,

Sonic Max

Generally, when you make rasters smaller it's okay. It effectivel boosts the resolution. So if you have a 300 dpi and you reduce it to 50% the effective resolution jumps to about 600.

The Idesign info window gives you this info but, at least in my CS version of AI, that infoe does not show in teh info window.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Resizing the image in AI, which as jmgalvin says, changes the resolution in the same proportion but inversely i.e. half the size doubles the resolution, so all the pixels are still there. This will increase file size with increased RIP and printing time with no visible increase in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back