Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize small image without losing quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBell99

Programmer
May 28, 2001
US
I am very new to PS, i have several pictures to use on my site....but they are in thumbnail size, i need these to be something like 800 x 600 wallpaper size images, but when i do that...well the images turns out looking really bad. I know that there has to be a way to get this to work. I need those images that are like 1.5 inches x 2.3 inches to be up to 800 x 600 pixels, but without losing any(or very little) quality. If there is an easier way to do it without PS..let me know

JBell99,
Sorry if this isn't very good news, but this is pretty much a fact of life with raster(bitmap) graphics. Because they are made of pixels, once you set the number of pixels per inch, you've locked in the size of your building blocks/pixels. So if you increase the size of the photo, you increase the size of the building blocks, thus making them more visible. A couple of things to check: Under Image - Image Size, check the ppi/dpi. It only needs to be 72 for viewing through a monitor, like on a website. If it's greater, you have a balance you can play with by adjusting those numbers. You want the physical size to increase as you decrease the dpi setting. Other than that, you can adjust the photos at the larger size with some of the noise filters, but this usually replaces the poor quality by making it blurry.

Wish I had better news (maybe someone else will have a better idea or work-around),

nhughes

nhughes is right, sorry. Usually you would scale down and if you do increse the size of you're image then you would try not to do it too much. There is one filter that you could have a play around with and see what happens. This is "Filter/Sharpen/Unsharp mask....

REsize you're image by going to Image/Image size.

When you have the image at the size you want go to Filters/Sharpen/Unsharp mask...

When you have that window open, just play around with the settings and see what happens. This may not help you with this particular problem but it WILL come in handy in the future.

Good luck roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

there is hope!
there is a plug-in that I've used pretty successfully to resize. you can find it at it's called genuine fractals and you can download a trail version that gives you 20 fully functioning uses. it works best if your original image is not blury and with as little noise as possible. fractal technology works very well for recreating crisp clean curves. good luck!

J-Dogg.....thanks, that program is so cool. I went there and downloaded the trial and i am so happy with it that i am going to buy the full version tommorow. Thank you, and for the rest of you out there that are trying to resize your small images but it's not working right....then you should go check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back