Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize partition? Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlguy

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
Is it possible to move all the files to a current existing partition? Then resize the partition and move everything back? Redhat Linux 7.2 (ext3)

In details :
When I initially created partition, I had wrongly allocated more space for /var partition....which I was suppose to allocate for /home partition. And now my /home partition is almost 90% full and I have 6GB disk space left in /var partition.......I would like to use /var partition space.....but how do I do it? Is there any easy way to re-size partition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Perlguy

You'll probably have to look into the new linux LVM (Logical Volume Manager) to resize your partitions. I think you might be successful moving the files in your /var to some other partition then running fdisk on /var (after it's unmounted), then move that data back to /var. Then backup your /home (or at least anything you can't live without, and fdisk /home. I don't think fdisk will mess with any of the files and just push them to the beginning of the partition, but to be safe I'd back up anything I'm not willing to lose. But your best bet is to look into linux LVM. You can probably find good info on it at An infinite number of monkey typing at an infinite number of keyboards will eventually populate the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back