Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize NTFS Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSeriesCodePoet

Programmer
Jan 11, 2001
US
I would like to resize my NTFS partition so I can install Linux on my laptop. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows because of the complications of getting the wireless card going. They are doing something really wacky, and I don't know how to fix it. I do know my wireless card worked fine under Red Hat.

If anyone can point me to a (preferred free) partition tool I would be very thankful and give you at least one star ;-).

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

Sorry, Partition Magic is the only application I know of that will properly handle NTFS5 partitions. It also handles NTFS4 partitions equally well.

Unfortunately I think that it costs about $100.

You can use something like TopologiLinux

or Knoppix

if you really can't go through the hassle of repartitioning.

Both are nice to run on Windows machines, but I've had real issues with TopologiLinux myself. Wouldn't boot on my SCSI drive machines because of device discovery issues. I had the same issues with RedHat 8.0 on those machines. Worked on 7.3, fixed on 8.2. Don't know what they did in between.

pansophic

I think many distributions now have a section where you can resize the partition. My personal preference is SuSE and this is the page where it talks about the partitions and making room for linux.

If you don't like SuSE you can go up to this point and resize the disk then install RH, I mean Fedora ;) or MDK (which I think has a resize tool too).

See, I've just been doing it for too many years the old fashion way. Someone came along and built a repartitioning tool besides Partition Magic that actually works.

In the past, the repartitioning tools only worked for FAT16, and only most of the time. Since then, I've always blown away my partition or used Partition Magic.

pansophic

Okay... Here is the solution. Mandrake 9.2 (I think) will resize NTFS partitions. It works great! However, I don't recommend Mandrake. To this day I have have always had problems with it.

iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

You can do pretty anything with any filesystem with Partition Commander. I use it all the time. In fact. I just used it to resized and changed NTFS to FAT32 yesterday. Go yo
You will see Partition Commander. Very good product. Good Luck!!!

Timi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back