Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbradshaw

Programmer
Sep 16, 2009
US
Hello:

I'm new to the forum and graphic design. I was hoping someone can help me out.

I was given an image in two different file formats: .png and .tif. The size of the image is 975x375.

I'm trying to resize the image to 185x71 and save it as either a .jpg or .gif format.

When I resize the image, the image appears fairly blurry and somewhat bleeding. I'm not sure why.

I'm using PaintShop Pro 7. I go to Image > Resize. I set my Pixel Size to 185(width) and 71(height). The checkboxes Resize All Layers and Maintain Aspect Ratio are both checked. The Maintain Aspect Ratio shows 2.6000 to 1. The Resize Type is set to Smart Size.

I don't understand why my image is appearing blurry and bleeding. Can someone help me out?

Thank you in advance.

Try changing the Resize Type to Bicubic. It usually makes the resized image clearer.
Also when resizing from a large size image like yours to the small size you want, you will lose some definition and image quality. One way to try to fix it is to resize by 90% as many times as you need to until you get to the size you want.
Good luck.

Thank you for the info. I'll try the 90% reduction. Hopefully that will work.

Resizing images always makes them a little blurry.

Imagine you have an image that is ten pixels wide, five white pixels next to fix black pixels.

Then you resize it to five pixels wide. Ideally you'd have 2.5 white pixels then 2.5 black - but you can't have half a pixel! What you get is two white, then a grey, then two black. It looks about right, but its not as sharp as the pure black/white original.

That's what's happening in your picture, and its likely to happen however you do the resize. The simplest solution is to do a "sharpen" or (better) an "unsharp mask" on the resized image to restore a little sharpness.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Or what I do is create a new document with a canvas size the size you want your final image to be (185x71) and then import your original onto the canvas, and resize it till you can see enough of the content in your new canvas, this way you are maintaining the scale of the original so not losing anything (though granted it doesn't work for all sizes of image)

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back