Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resize fs online

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Apr 29, 2003
IT
Hi,
I'm using redhat advanced server 4 upd 2 64 bit and I want to resize /opt filesystem online.
Searching the web I found that this is possible by issuing two simple commands (if there's unallocated space in the volume group).
Commands are:
lvextend -L +sizeM /dev/VG/LV, so:
lvextend -L +32M /dev/vg_root/lv_opt
ext2online /fs, so:
ext2online /opt

I tried it on my virtual machine and it seems ok but I'm afraid to do it on production.
Does anyone tried these commands before?
My filesystem is ext3 (not ext2) but the command seems ok also for this filesystem type.
I followed this document:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

during my RHCE course they recommended to backup you filesystem anyway before using lvextend.

I have done it succesfully several times but each time I do a nice tar backup before.

QaTQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Hi,

I have tried this online extension on filesystems containing runnig oracle database with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back