Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Residential & Postal Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayton

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
NZ
Hello Everyone,

I have a form (frmMembers), with a subform (fsubAddress) which I use to capture members residential address and postal address. The logic we use is that if the member does not supply his postal address, we use there residential address as there postal address.

Is there a way that if we input the residential address it would appear as the postal address as well. If a postal address exists we must be allowed to enter/overwrite the detail showing from the residential address.

I think that an "if" statement for data validation could be used for this???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bascially, you have a one-to-may relationship -- one member can have more than one address.

However, I suspect you have a table designed to include both the residential and postal address.

If you are just starting out, you may consider changing the design so the data is more nomalized. (May be an idea to post this query in Access Tables and Relationships if you need help with this excercise.)

If not, then
IIF
may help. (Read up on help for usage)

Basically,
IIF(test, action if true, action if false)

Yes,

Use the after update on the residential address field to update the postal address field.

Me![PostalAddress] = Me![ResidentialAddress]

Using of course your field names.

This will populate the Postal fields but they can still be changed.

Dale

I created something quite similiar to what you are doing, difference being that a member is to indicated their address as residential or business. However, some members have their business in their home. Consequentially, they are one in the same. Because of this I only indicate, at the form level, what address is actually given and where they want literature mailed. I make the distinction at the label level. I use an If statement to print the business address unless it is null.

HTH
now it's time for me to go to sleep.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.

by Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Guys, its working you suggestions are appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back