Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting Smartcell management card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfcan

Technical User
Dec 8, 2002
US
Hello,

I've replaced the batteries in my smartcell packs, but my matrix 3000 continues to state that the packs are bad.
The red light on the front of the smartcell will not turn off. They are not bad batteries.

The batteries are the smaller type, (motorcycle size) not the car size batteries found in an XR smartcell.
The XR's have a reset button on the management card, however the smaller ones (that I have) do not.

I called apc, they stated that they suggest that the whole smartcell unit be replaced when the batteries go bad. They did however hint, hint, nudge, nudge, to the fact that it was possible to reset the management card, but they do not support it and would not tell me how....

I know this is possible because I know these things can be refurbushed.

Does anyone know how the reset the management card on a smartcell?

thanks,
HC

Did you ever figure this out? I'm thinking of buying batteries to rebuild a SmartCell XR.

I don't know whether this is right, but I found this:
"All you have to do is short the SW1 pads while plugging it in."

This is according to:

I've not tried it since I've not rebuilt mine yet. Not sure where the SW1 pads are...I guess you have to tear it down and look around.

Typo there...I should have wrote SmartCell, NOT SmartCell XR.

Chirkware, thanks, I the SW1 pads are on the board, and I had a feeling they need to be shorted out somehow, just didn't think to do it while the powering up. Makes sense though, I will try that any let you know how it goes.

Apologies, I should have noticed that you said Smartcell and not Smartcell XR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back