Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting BIOS on Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespa61

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Not to long ago a hard drive went out on one of the company's desktops, so it was taken in to a Gateway service center for warrenty repair. Not only did the computer fail right after we got it back, but JoJo the idiot service tech at good ol' gateway put an admin password on the bios so I can't change any of the settings. I've tried using the bios updates from the gateway, but it still leaves the admin password enabled. Any way around this or any recommended way for safetly resetting the bios?

Pull the battery overnite. Should come back up to default settings and force you to change the CMOS settings. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If your in a hurry I'm pretty sure battery must be out for at least 20 minutes..I always do 30 and have no problems. Learn something everyday or you wasted a day of your life.

look in the documentation or inside the computer cover. There is a jumper to reset the cmos. you move the jumper and power on the pc. come up to the cmos and reset all passwods. it will then instruct you to power off and move jumper back to normal position. I have done it many times, as we have several computer "geniuses" that work at our site. I'd also call Gateway and complain about the quality of the service. You're paying for it, you should get it......John

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just pulled the battery and am giving it some time. I'll update ya'll of the outcome shortly.

Much appreciated,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back