Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resetting a Solaris 10 System To Factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmagow

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
Hi All,
I recently received a SunFire V245 server with Solaris 10 "pre-installed". This box was to be used for my network management system. I've since found a better NMS and it's Windows based. I have another use for the V245 but want to go back to ground 0, fully unconfigured with nothing but what Sun sent me on the system. Back of my mind I remember some kind of sys unconfigure commands but I am wondering if there is a formal way to reset the box completely.
Thanks

The simpliest way is just to do a full reinstall the OS - then you know for sure that the box is clean.

Hi rmmagow,

The command you are remembering is sys-unconfig, and is used "to restore a system's configuration to an 'as-manufactured' state". See the man pages for a complete description of what is 'removed' and what is 'restored'. But the command does not restore the system to the state is was when delivered. For instance it does not remove 3rd party software, or delete files you have added, or back out patch-kits that have been loaded.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Thanks guys. I'll do a reinstall on the unit. Definitely the cleanest way. I need all third party software off since I may sell the server.
Thanks Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back