Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reseting of all persmissions on File Server (win 2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brah

Technical User
May 17, 2003
FR
Hello,

I did a dumb thing last week and whilst giving access to the top folder on our file server (windows 2000) I accidently reset all the permissions on all the child folders under it (about 1,000 folders) which meant that the whole plant could not gain access to the folders. I did a restore from the previous night without overwriting any files which had been used that day.

My current problem is that any files which were not overwritten by the restore no longer have the correct permissions. Permissions are given at the folder level which is then propogated down to the files.

Is there a way to do a refresh of all access rights on the system - this would allow all the access rights contained in the folders to be sent to the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - as you can guess there is a bit of urgency in this request.

Many thanks
Brian

What exactly did you do to reset the permissions to all child folders?

Hello,

I reset the permissions on the top level folder and asked for this to be filtered down to all sub folders.

Regards
Brian

Hopefully some of the folders had block inheritance set so you did not change them......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back