Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reseting master password on ibook G4 with os 10.3.9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo000003

Technical User
Dec 1, 2006
US
My father gave me his old G4 after he got a PC, but the account i have access to isnt an admin and my dad tossed all of the stuff that he got with the G4 including the legitimately purchaced disks, why i dont know

he had the passwords written down somewhere but in his senility he has lost them i was wondering if there was a way to contact mac and recieve a master password or reset the computer's master password or atleast the password for the admin account

any help would be appreciated

As far as I know you're pretty hosed without a boot disc. It's part of the security. Depending on the age of the machine you might want to buy a copy of OSX but you have to be careful about whether the machine uses CDs or DVDs for the boot disc.

You MIGHT be able take it to an Apple store, but my guess is they wouldn't help because they wouldn't know if the machine was stolen.

Here's a very reputable source for low cost versions of OSX, and other mac stuff.
Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

it's a newer one my dad just likes pc better and he now hates macs

but thank you

if i did buy a cd/dvd for it which one would i have to buy
should i buy the 10.4 or go with the old 10.3.9 to change the password?

As long as teh thing will boot from DVD, you might as well go with 10.4. 10.3 would simply save you some money.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

lost login password to ibook g4 have all software that came with it

Boot with OSX cd while holding down the C key. When you get to the first interactive screen, go up to the File/Installer menu and choose the Reset Password option.

..."in his senility"....

You might get a better response from Dad if you treated him with a little respect. Of course you could always buy your own computer then you wouldn't be having these horrible problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back