Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reseting form fields on refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge118

Programmer
Jun 15, 2004
US
When I hit the refresh button my IE browser, is there a way to have all the fields reset (as they do when I click my reset button)? Currently when I hit the refresh button, all of the data typed into my text boxes stays there.

Thanks.

"Pin me. Perl me."

Regards,

Chris

Are you sure that the behaviour you are seeing isn't by design (of the page that you are refreshing), or caused by some 3rd-party add-on (browser toolbar, etc)?

IE normally always clears all form fields when refresh is pressed (unlike Firefox).

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

When I hit the refresh button after typing something into the textbox, the text stays there. I'm on my work PC, so they may have altered the settings, so that it doesn't clear the form. Can you please verify that it definitely clears the field for you when you hit the refresh button in IE?

Code:
<html>
<body>

<input type="text">
</body>
</html>

"Pin me. Perl me."

Regards,

Chris

It could possibly be a local / server issue. The test I did earlier was running through a web server, but I tested your code locally. Try uploading your code to a web server and testing it.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[/tt]

In fact - try it yourself. In IE, visit
Wait for the page to load, type something in the box, and press refresh. It dissapears for me in all browsers mentioned above. When I download the file locally, it does not exhibit this behaviour.

Dan

[/tt]

If i visit google and type somthing in and then refresh page it keeps what i have written in the text box. Normally the text box would be cleared... maybe this is somthing google has done... are you still haveing the problem?

are you still haveing the problem?

I don't have, and never have had the problem. It is you that seems to have the problem.

As I said, everything seems to work for me from pages that are hosted on a web server. I've just tried all of these:

And in all cases, when I type something in the search box, and press "refresh" (using IE 6), the box is blanked on reload.

Are you *sure* you have no add-ons installed (such as Google Toolbar, 3rd party add ons, etc)?

Dan

[/tt]

Hey... i dont have a problem... i was just adding a reply to the post to see what was going on...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back