Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset local security policy..Any issues after the fact???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I have a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 machine that I need to make some changes to (Install Windows update and install RDC).

The machine locked down with local security policy and prohibiting me to run Windows Update or install some necessary apps. This was done by the reseller. The reseller has since gone out of business.

So I did some checking into it and I can reset the local security policy on that machine. I have never had the opportunity or the need to do such in my experience.

Can someone tell me if I will see (from a Windows stand point) any problems doing so?

Mark C.

That depends on what software was used to lock the computer. In most normal cases it should be ok, but if many programs were installed with those configuration settings, they may react differently after you remove the security policy. The best thing to do would be to wipe and fresh install. This is the easiest way and secure way of knowing any security features that the old reseller put on the machine are gone. If you do this, make sure to backup all your needed files and drivers. Then boot from the CD. You could probably even upgrade to XP if the computer originally had win2k.

Windows XP fresh install: Same procedure for win2k installation.

Windows XP system requirements:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back