Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reset ip-stations ip-phones command

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoBAz

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
I am upgrading firmware on ip-telephones (avaya 9608's) a total of 80 telephones. All telephones are in a region (reg 10) so ... I run the command "reset ip-stations ip-phone ip-network-region 10". The CM took approximately over 1hour and 40 minutes to reset the telephones, with a total of 11 telephones not reseting at all.

So my question is - when the reset command is submitted - how does the CM perform the task ? Is it 1 phone at a time or ??? I just dont think it should take that long, I have several regions to reset ( some region having over 1200 stations) my maintenance window is only three hours, at this rate I will not be able to complete the firmware upgrade in the amount of time allowed.

Is this a corrupted CM? or is this normal ? I have done before at another company and never has it taken so long to reset telephones...

Rel: CM 5.02.1.016.4

Thanks
B

BoBAz

If the phones are on managed PoE switches then you could have your network team bounce the switches. That would force all the IP phones connected to pull the new firmware when they booted back up. And in the location with 1200 phones, you could do it by floor, so as not to overwhelm your HTTP server.

DavidPayne - yes we are POE, and can do that however there are some printer devices that are using POE as well which would also now be affected. -

I am more concered as to the amount of time it takes the switch to run the command, it just takes forever for the pbx to process - the stations take a long time to disconnect and restart.

How can I make it faster, or why does it take so dang log.

BoBAz

AvayaTier3 - yes, I am familiar with that process, thank you. But do you by chance know why it takes the ACM so dang long to restart the phones ? I would think that because it " the command" is in ACM that it would process the restart of the telephone more efficently - 80 telephone to reset on one network region took all of close to 2 hours!! how long would it take to reset 1200 ?????? I dread even trying to do them all at once!

BoBAz

i run this command all the time on variuos release and servers and large #s of sets (1000+) and they usaully reset pretty quick but i have seen where i need to run the command a few times to catch all the phones. to take the suggestion of the switch command a little further for you, sont bounce the switchesm simply disbale the power of the ports adn this will kepp other things up (unless you have WAPs and other stuff). i know this didt answer your question but just sharing my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back