Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset IBM ThinkPad 390E laptop BIOS? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICHINMINN

Programmer
Dec 31, 2001
I'm working on a friend's old laptop, which is an IBM ThinkPad 390E. The system hadn't been powered up for several months, but with the AC adapter attached, it booted up just fine. I went into the BIOS setup, and saw that the startup video setting was set at 'CRT', which was OK since I had an external monitor hooked up to it. I thought that since she wanted to use the laptop as a portable unit, I should set the startup video setting to 'LCD', or 'LCD and CRT'. I picked 'LCD' and then shut the system down. There must be a problem with the LCD screen, since now when the system boots, I can't see a thing on the LCD screen!

How can I reset the BIOS to set the active display to 'CRT' when I can't see a thing on either screen?

(Scratchin' my head...)

Rich (in Minn.)

You're in luck...according to the HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual) I found on the Lenovo site, on page 69 it shows the CMOS battery under a removable cover on the bottom that also houses the modem.

Removing the AC adapter, the laptop battery and this little sucker should reset the CMOS and get you to a bootable BIOS. Best of luck!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony,
Yes, that did it! The LCD's still not working, but at least I can see everything on the CRT, which will have to do for now.

Thanks for your assistance.

Rich (in Minn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back