Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset default PIX 501 problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex16

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
CA
Hello forum

I'm having a problem with pix 501. I want to use it on my network as a simple hub(switch). When I plug it to our LAN it blocks traffic at some point due to the configuration made by the previous systems admin, making LAN unusable . I need to make some changes to it' configuration but do not know pix's ip address. The previous systems admin has left without a word. How can I access pix?

Thank you

Alex16

You can use a console (sometimes called a rollover) cable to access the pix. This cable should've been supplied with the firewall. The PIX 501 has an RJ45 connection at the back of it marked with the word 'console' on it to distinguish it from its inside and outside fast ethernet interfaces.

I hope your previous administrator left such a cable for you and indeed the passwords required to get full access to it.

In case he also didn't leave the passwords for the system, the following link explains how to perform password recovery on the PIX:
For this password recovery to be successful, you'll need to know what version of PIXOS you're running (6.2, 6.3 etc). When the PIX has just completed booting, the banner that appears should confirm what version of PIXOS is running on the unit.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks KiscoKid. I 'va got that far: hooked PC via serial (com1) int to PIX. Installed TFTP server and downloaded that 6.3 bin file. Used Teraterm to access pix's console. Now I have used the link you provided for further steps. I have monitor> on a display and trying to figure out how to proceed from there. 'address' command is to give pix ip address, server command to specify tftp server (my pc) address, 'file' is to point to the file I'm about to download and 'tftp' command is to actually start downloading, right? It fails to do so. Ping is not getting through and I guess I know why...I mean, seems to me that setting up ip addresses in my case is irrelevant..or.. I am a new guy to all this and may be you can guide me a little bit or give me a hint as to what am I doin' wrong. How can I point pix to tftp correctly?

thanks, man

Thanks

Kiscokid, thank you!

Everything is working fine, I have managed to erase the psswd and all that.

thanks for your help

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back