Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reset BIOS Password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coronel

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2005
US
Hi folks,
how are you doing today?

This is my issue:
I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 600m with Win XP-Pro and when I turn on the computer, it requires to type BIOS Password; even if when i press F2 it asks me for BIOS Password; so this is my question, Is there any jumper or third party software that can resolve this F... problem?

The message says:

This computer system is protected by a password authentication system. you cannot access the data on this computer wiyhout the correct password.

Plase type in the primary or administrator password and press <Enter>.

I really appreciate your cooperation.
Thanks a lot.

i know older Dells had a jumper. however, i also would recommend you contact them.

If you are able to start a Command Prompt (DOS BOX) you might want to try the utility killCMOS, which can be found here:
The utility does what it implies. It kills the CMOS settings in your BIOS, erasing all settings including passwords.
You end up with a BIOS as if it was fresh from the factory.
When downloading the utility your Virus scanner might block it, because it recognises the (evil) CMOS whiping routine.

I intentionally avoid answering these type questions for this reason. Everytime I see one of these posts the first thought that pops into my suspicious mind is that the computer is stolen, especially if the computer in question is a laptop, and they need to get past the bios password for it to be of any use to them.

Am I the only on here that thinks like this?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

No from me too.

There is no software fix for it, the hard disk is likely to be locked too - it's useless - take it back.

I'm with BadFrog. And even if this is not the case, that cannot be an argument to answer because by publiciting that kind of info you're making it eaiser for people who actually has "bad intentions".

Cheers,
Dian

Interesting points, and my comments here probably belong in another forum, BUT...

There are many things we users/sysadmins need to be able to do that COULD be used for bad purposes. If I post a question in the VBScript forum like "How do I run windows security patches that I downloaded on a heap of remote computers?", should it not be answered since, in theory, that script could be used to run malicious code on someone else's unpatched unfirewalled computer?

Formatting a drive, moving/deleting files, heck, nearly everything people request help with in this forum is illegal... if you do it on someone else's computer without their permission! If the computer is yours, or you are granted use by a person or company, then there's no problem. And that includes clearing a BIOS password.

It's tricky; but, you know what? At the very least, people who read this will know:
1. BIOS passwords can usually be defeated quite easily
2. If you're relying on a BIOS password to secure your data in case of theft, you need to be sure that your BIOS supports this! Or, you need a better method of encrypting your data.

This is my stock standard answer for these type of questions (if I answer them at all in the first place).

"There are many sites that can help you further with lost or forgotten passwords (Google for instance) but this site for security and ethical reasons does not support that policy. Sorry about that, but if we can help in any other way please try us again".

Reading this thread, I agree with BadFrog and Linney.
As a ServiceDesker I once had to reinstall a bunch of laptops with a new OS. They all had a BIOS password which was enabled by the users. Some at startup, and some by entering the BIOS. I was not able to contact all the users so I had to find another method of getting access to the BIOS.
In my enthousiasm to help mr. Coronel I posted my answer.
But following Linney's post, I will be more carefull the next time.
(learning all the time)

I'm with guitarzan. There is much more damaging information on many of these forums than how to reset a BIOS password. Besides, the BIOS password is only one step in getting into a system. If you know enough to crack into Windows once you get past the BIOS, then you should know enough to crack the BIOS as well. If someone came here and said they need to get past a BIOS password, hack into Windows, and oh, by the way, is there a way to get past any encrypted files and find stored passwords on a system, I would probably become suspicous enough not to answer. Otherwise, I'm going to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back