Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rescheduling Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2011
GB
Hi Folks

I've had a little problem when using "Update Project" to reschedule a task I believed to be 100% complete.

A task had 10 hours spread over 4 days using a rate of $25/hr and MSP has planned:

Monday
2.8hr​
$70​
Tuesday
2.8hr​
$70​
Wednesday
2.8hr​
$70​
Thursday
1.6hr​
$39.99​

This totals 10hrs but only $249.99. Then if I enter the 10 hours as Actual work on Monday (which is normally done by a macro reading data from an excel file, but we get the same effect entering the data manually) we get the situation where the Actual Work is the same as the Work but the Actual Cost exceeds the Cost by $0.01 - the overall task is shown as 100% complete but the individual assignment shows as 99% complete.

This then causes our rescheduling process a problem because if I ask MSP to reschedule outstanding work MSP throws a bit of a wobbly and adds around 30 hours of work and actual work to the task in the process bringing Cost and Actual Cost back in line.

We are going to get around this by filtering the project so we don't attempt to reschedule when Remaining Work is zero but if anyone can shed some light on why MSP acts like this it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

There must out of the default in your project setup. When I create a 4-day duration task and enter 10 hours of work, the work is spread 2.5 hours per day for the four days. What task type are you working with - Fixed Duration? Have you contoured the assignment in any way7 What is your calendar (change working time) settings? And finally, what version of Project (2007, 2010, 2013) and what service pack is applied to Project? 2007 should be at SP-3, 2010 should be at SP-2, and 2013 should be at Sp-1.

Hi Julie

We're on MSP2010 SP2 .. everything up to date.The Task Type is Fixed Work. Working time is 8hrs/day

The resource was planned on multiple tasks within the project and on other projects as well .... we use Resource Units to spread the resource's time over the various tasks - in this case it was set to 35%.

Something is not adding up quite right. A resource assigned at 35% should have 2.8 hours of work scheduled for 4 days for a total of 11.2 hours - not the 10 hours you note. Can you zip the file and attach it to the post? I'll take a look - but it sounds like something is amiss i the assignment. If you show remaining work or remaining duration, are they both zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back