Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Required form field not working in FP2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcc

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
US
I have a form for customers to fill out with some of the fields being required - the most important being their email address. I ended up having all the fields being set up the same to accept just about any combination of characters, etc by choosing no constraints for the data type. I did, however, choose to require a data length (minimum 1 character, maximum 35 which is the length of the field). I've tested the form myself and for instance, if you leave out your first name and try to submit you get an error message but for some reason a user can submit the form without the email address. I don't understand why since the fields are set up the same???? Is there a way to correct this using FP? The site is and you can get to the form by clicking Trial Version from the menu.

Thanks in advance!

Reading the article has raised another question, and maybe the answer to this is why my required field isn't working right.

Is the article saying that I need a special Validation Error Page for each field I am requiring. For example, an error page for not filling in the email, another error page for not filling in first name, last name, etc?

I've experimented with this and it doesn't seem to be the case that each required field needs its own Validation Error Page - there is only one for the Form. After having tried this I put my settings back the way I had them and now my Validation Error Page doesn't come up when a user leaves a required field empty. Now I get the error box that comes with frontpage - not sure why this has defaulted to fp? In addition, now I have field information that is not coming to me in my email even though the fields have been saved in form properties/options/savedfields. Also not sure why this is no longer working?

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back