Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Require Help with dbEdit() 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahja

Programmer
Mar 4, 2007
CA
Hi, I have an Inventory Program (Clipper 5.01) that allows the User to browse the database using the dBEdit Function and then use the "F" keys to Add, Edit, Delete... etc. I need to create a routine that will allow the User to search for a set of embedded characters (ie. "Grain Bag") in the description field. It's easy enough to find the first occurence of the match and set the record pointer on that record, what I can't figure out is how to continue the search if the User decides the first match is NOT the one desired. It would be like using the F3 key in most windows or web based search functions that utilize the standard Ctrl-F search routine. If anyone can assist me I will be forever grateful.

ThankYou... Rahja!

Hi Rahja

Likely the easiest way would be to use a function invoked by the F-key to set a filter on the database and then refresh the browse. Then the remainder of the program would function normally, except only filtered records would appear.

You would also have to reset the filter when done to resume normal processing. Also be aware that allowing the addition of records with a filter active can be a problem because if the added record doesn't satisfy the filter it will seem to disappear and the operator may not think it was saved.

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back