Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting tips on Oracle DBA exam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjayiyer

Programmer
Sep 18, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have recently joined a company, where I am required to write PL/SQL packages, and complex SQL queries in the Oracle HRMS package. To enhance my job prospects I would like to take the PL/SQL exams and enter the DBA track. However, in my work place I do not have access to a very high end system, where I can experiment on performance tuning, backup and recovery etc. I have three questions, and I will be grateful if any of you could help me.

1) Do I need to invest on a new system, with a 1 Gig RAM as a friend suggested to prepare for the exams. I am financially constrained and therefore would like to avoid buying a computer in the first place.

2) Would it be enough to study the Oracle cert books alone and pass the exams? Again, I do not have the resources and permissions in my current job to do backup and recovery and performance tuning and finally,

3) Do I need to be a DBA with access to the computers to actually take up the exams, or is it ok, for a novice like me to learn the concepts and take the exams.

Your suggestions will be highly valued, and I thank you for taking the time to read my long email.

Sincerely,
Sanjay

My advice:

You will definitelty need a computer unless you are able to install Oracle 9i database on the work computer and spend many many hours on it. You will not need a high end computer. My home computer is a 366Mhz with 128Ram and a 30 Gb hard-drive. Nowadays, you could practically pick these up in the trash they are so low end.

Spend the money and get the Sybex text books and the STS exam software. You will thank yourself a thousand times over.

My advice after completing both the DBA and Developer certifications...nothing compares to practice, practice, practice. Install the database and then bash around on it. I messed with the practice so many times in different scenerios that I had to re-install many times. This is what makes a more knowledgable and confident dba.

Don't cut corners! You likely will not need the classes if you are willing to commit yourself to self study and prepare for the many hurdles along the way. BUT do spend the maney on the texts and software as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Adrian Hull
DBA / Developer

Adrian
Certified DBA/Developer

Adrian,

I am going to be starting Oracle 8i in Apr 04, I got a great deal on the ocp from a school in southern california for around 6000.00 and I am currently getting my mcse, I know for the MCSE there is the test king to help you out with the studying and test prep. what is the website for the sts test marieral you mentioned above? I would like to get that website to go ahead and order it to help me with my certification. Thanks in advacne.

Jeremery

Hey Adrian,

I am a recent college grad w/ BS in CS and Oracle9i DBA(OCP) cert. I'm planning to take 1Z0-147 for developer OCA soon.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back