Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting information on Timberline Estimating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordsmusicalbox

Programmer
Dec 13, 2006
US
Developers,

The company I am working for is thinking about acquiring Timberline to facilitate their estimating process.

I have been asked to research how compatible this software will be with our current infrastructure.

In general, we have an Accounting software package that uses SQL Server 2000. (SQL runs on Win Server 2003). We would like to take current pricing information from SQL and have that info available into Timberline.

From what I have read, Timberline will let you pull information from their databases as well write to certain fields in their database.

1. Does anyone know if you can import current pricing from another Accounting package? Or this limited so you have purchase their Accounting module. I would like to give the benefit of the doubt that they would offer greater flexibility.

2. Is there a limit to which database fields you can import into Timberline. Are there some that you can't?

3. If importing pricing is permissible from another Accounting package, what technical method works best?
Sounds like DTS would be the way to go, but getting it to run in can be fun due to permissions from what I read.

*** I also have read that getting the ODBC driver to work that comes with Timberline can be a challenge to set up. From several posts I have a read it seems to be real slow in data access.

Any information, points to websites, etc. would be greatly appreciated. If you have Timberline, how would you rate is reliablity and ease of use. What is the % of uptime. And being someone who develops and supports it, how would you comment on what you experienced so far.

Oh, what software tools, manuals, etc. would I need so I can develop applications to interface with Timberline as well as support it.

Thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back