Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting Data from Microsoft Exchange Server (5.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netcher

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have been reading many question and answers to the issue I am having.

About 50% (20) of my users are getting the error message, "requesting data...". My users all are using Win XP Pro and I have Exchange Server 5.5 on 2000 server.

I have checked the ping time from the Exchange Server from the user. (no problem) bad router?
I have checked and defragged the Exchange Server. (no problem)
I have had users switch workstations. (same problem.)

What I can tell about the issue is that Outlook lucks-up while the “requesting date..” message comes up and/or is about to come up. The problem is becoming bigger. I have some stiff viruses that I had to get off the server right around when the problem started.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Khari

I've always found this message to happen either when users are trying to access or preview attachments (almost always large attachments), and figured that Outlook Client is just downloading the attachment from the Exchange server. If that is the case, you may need faster nics and hubs/switches (or set limits on attachment sizes).

Thanks, but the size of the file does not matter. The user can do anything that has to do with communicating with the Exchange server and they get the message. (getting, address from address list, open email, send email etc...)The exchange server works sometimes with no problem for the user. I know it is a communication issue. I may have to recreate the SMTP server.

The problem may be due to some other process(service) running, like backing up, indexing, compression, or even antivirus scan.

Do you have anything I can try?

Thanks

Khari

Update!

The message "requesting Data From Microsoft Server "Name"". That "name" is not the name of my exchange server. Where can I go to make the correction?

Thanks eveny-(One).

I found my problem and fixed it.

Old setting in user profiles, it was looking for and old server that is no longer available. I had to delete old profiles from workstation an exchange.

hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back