Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Requesting 2 different pages from the same default asp page

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeeNee

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
CA
I am creating several Budgeting reports using asp. Each report is requested from a default page where parameters are entered, such a year and quarters.
Now, each report is opened in a separate window using the javascript window.open command. Each window opens and generates the report properly, and some reports take longer to generate than others due to the amount of detail and calculations involved.

My question is why when I attempt to open 2 or more reports at the same time, the browsers windows open, but the data does not display itself until the longest running report displays it self. Shouldn't each browser request be unique and generate itself independently from each other.

If someone has any idea why this is happening, my users would be happy to know.

Thanks
Canada

Denis
Programmer, Canada

javascript has a funny thing that it does like that. If you make several page adjustments in javascript before leaving a function only the last one will ever be seen.

I would venture a guess that you are calling 1 function with 2 window.open( ) calls in it?

If that is the case try making it 2 separate calls.

If I'm totally off base then post the code you're using to open the windows and we might be able to see something that could be causing this phenomena

Travis Hawkins
jobs.bestcodingpractices.com

That may be the case because I am using 2 different buttons calling the same javascript function window.open() with different parameters.

Now each does open in different windows but neither will display the results until the longest running report is complete. This is frustrating when one report can take several minutes while another only seconds. The users are not very patient.

Denis
Programmer, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back