Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request timed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrypuma

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hi All,
I have a call in the morning with the following problem
and I would appreciate any feed back you have to offer:
A Networked printer with a standard TCp/ip printer port, 192.168.x.x the printer is part of a workgroup and is added locally to 4 PC's Operating Systems include W98 & W2k Pro.
Properties of Printer are verified and correct, correct driver installed, Cable has been checked from Hub to Printer ok, I can't ping Ip address of Printer= Request timed out. I can ping the localhost, What else can I check or where do I go from here, The printer was working fine until Friday, they haven't done anything new or changed anything as far as I know ?Please help if you can as I am new to this field and would appreciate it very much..
H

I'm new to the field myself, so don't know if this will help, but...have you checked to make sure the IP address in the port settings for that printer on the server is the printer's true IP address? I had a printer switch it's IP address on me once, and I couldn't explain why, but I discovered this when I printed a test page by using the menu on the printer itself. Like you, I was unable to ping the printer from the server. Sure enough, the IP address given on the test page was different from the IP address entered in the port properties on the server. I changed the address in the port properties to reflect the address from the test page and instantly the printer was functioning normal again. I only hope it's that easy for you. Best of luck.

JP

Well,wuneyej
Thanks for that, I knew the settings on th PC's were ok before I went onsite and the cabling etc was fine, however the Ip address on the Printer had changed so in the System Settings I entered the correct Ip address and set it to Fixed so as it hopefully won't happen again..

M

henrypuma, I'm glad the info helped. Hope then new career's going well so far. :)

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back