Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request For Volunteers For A Mission Impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourls

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
US
Hi:

I will number the chronology of events related to this problem.

1. Installed HP Scanjet3300CSE on my Windows ME system. Results: Normal.
2. Upgraded my system to Windows XP. Result: HPScanjet 3300CSE was incompatible. Needed new driver.
3. Contacted HP Tech Support for Windows XP driver for scanner. Result: HP Tech Support told the driver would be released in a few weeks.
4. Downloaded HP Tech Support HPScanjet3300CSE driver for Windows XP. Result: Could make scanner come on stream for one session only. Had to repeat the install process for each boot-up.
5. Noticed an HP Scanjet driver among Windows Update files for my PC. Downloaded this driver. Result: Got Error 2117.
No scanner operation.
6. Made several attempts to delete the downloaded Microsoft HP Scanjet driver. Result: Could not delete. System indicated that it was deleting the driver, but the driver re-appeared after next boot-up.
7. Discovered that I can visit Device Manager, right-click on current driver.
8. Can get a choice of drivers to use: the MS and the HP:
Result: Can choose HP driver and make the scanner function normally for the current session. Apparently, the MS driver takes charges after next boot-up.

QUESTION: How do I attach a grenade to the MS HPScanjet driver?

Apparently, HP Tech Support and I use different dialects of the English language, or the techs are not allowed to comprehend plain language. . . .I receive a suggestion some 30 degrees off the mark. Or I am told to call an Area Code 208 number.

Any volunteers?

Thanks,

Fourls

The scanner a USB device, right?

If so, I have noticed that USB devices sometimes need to be "started" to be recognized by WinXP. For example I have a Kodak DX3900 Digital Camera with a Docking station that connects through the USB port. With W2K Pro once installed it was always "known". However after upgrading to Win XP Pro it is only recognized when I "activate" it by pushing its upload button. Until then it sits there and is connected but WinXP doesn't "know" it is there from boot to boot.

Try "starting" your scanner and see if WinXP "recognizes" its existance. The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

I realized after I posted above that you had more issues for this Mission...

You want to get rid of the MS drivers right and use the HP ones?

Before starting the process below get the HP drivers unloaded/unzipped into a directory that you can find later...

On the System Properties click Device Manager
find and then Right Click the device from the device tree and click Properties
Select the Driver tab

Click the Driver Details button
Here it shows you where the driver is coming from. Later you can delete these files if you like so note their location. (I'd suggest renaming so you can get them back if things go wrong.)

Close the Driver details (click OK)

Click the Uninstall button and follow instructions. (You'll get a warning Click OK.)

You'll be asked/told at some point to reboot. Don't, Windows will just find your device again and reload the drivers.

Get back to the Driver tab

Another buttons on the Driver Tab is Update Driver
Click this one and check the Install from a list or specific location
Check the Don't search, I will choose the driver to install.
Click Next button
Click Have Disk
Click Browse button
and locate the inf file that came from HP. (in the directory you unzipped the drivers to)
Selet the .inf that applies and click Open
You will be brought back to a selction screen select the device and proceed.

This time, if all goes well go ahead and reboot.

Your HP drivers should now be the installed drivers. Check by going to the Driver tab again.

Then try the idea from my previous post.

Note: I was somewhat detailed here because I wasn't sure how aquainted with the process you would be, no slight intended. I did most of the detail from memory so I may have left something out or not been completly clear, sorry. If you need to reach me directly you can check my profile to see an e-mail address where I can be reached.

BTW, I hate HP support. I have had numerous runins with them and they are IDIOTS for the most part. They have no real concept of Customer Satisfaction! In fact I have made a promise to myself that I will never buy an HP product again!!! >:-<

Joy ... :)
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back