Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Request for advice on home networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tardigrade

Programmer
Aug 17, 2000
GB
Hi Folks,

I'm finally getting myself a second machine :eek:D and would like to setup a home network with 2 machines.

Here's the general outline of what I've got planned: My new machine will be my workhorse, it'll be running Linux (probably RH7.1), I'm a web-developer/programmer by trade (java, perl, php, dbms) and I tend to use the gnome desktop. The second machine will be running windows 2000 or NT4 (I haven't decided yet), this will be mainly for my partners use and any occasional windows programming I may have to do.

The main machine will have 2 hard-drives, one for backups.

My initial research suggests that I use the linux box to connect to the net as my router/firewall and use fetchmail/sendmail/pop3 to get mail and use Samba to share files and services.

Excuse the broad question but what I'm after is links to articles/howto's that others with similar set-ups may have found helpful and perhaps some constructive criticism on my setup ;o)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
-Scott

My advice would be to check out the NHFs over at linuxnewbie.org, and to not run any services that you don't need. Look into ipchains (2.2 kernel) or iptables (2.4 kernel, which comes with rh7.1) for the foundation of your firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back