Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repost: Missed Full Monthly Backup Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstorm

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
I am responsible for a 100 GB of storage on an NT 4.0 server. We run the standard GFS scheme for our backups, with the Full backup happening on Thursday. The backups go to a ADIC 8000 (max 70 GB compressed) tape drive.
I missed this last Thursday's Full backup(my mistake), which so happened to also be the monthly. How smart is the GFS rotation? Will it reschedule a missed full monthly automatically, or do I need to schedule a seperate full backup, name and serial the tapes and place them in the Monthly Pool?
This is what I have attempted so far......
The next day (Friday), I placed two blank tapes in the tape changer to see if the following evening it will perform the missed Full. That didn't happen, and instead the daily differential was performed.
On Monday, I formatted the two blank tapes and placed them in the Monthly Pool, as part of the Scratch set. No luck, Arcserve performed the daily differential instead of the Full monthly.
When I check the "Modify Job" option in the scheduler window, the Calendar view for the job shows that the the Full monthly is always the next job to happen. Go figure.
Anu ideas?
Thanks in advance for the assistance

Joe

It has been my experience that once the Activity log says Rescheduled to "date" of next backup, you have lost that particular backup. I don't think you can modify the job to do a monthly after the fact. You should be able to modify the job to do a full backup or write a separate one-time full back up job to replace the Monthly. Have fun.

Back date the start date of the backup to the date the monthly would have occurred. You will get a monthly backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back