Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Repost: Mandrake KDE Application install prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestr1

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
Sorry, I to resubmit this because I had a screwed up subject...
Hey, I'm pretty confused. I've got Mandrake Linux 8.0 installed, but I can't figure out what I need to do to install new applications. I have the KDE desktop installed.

1.) Once I download a file where should I untar/ungzip the file to and do I need to put the executable portion of the application in my /etc/profile "path" so that I can open the application on call?
2.) Should I be looking for X11 download links? What is "X11"?
3.) Do you know any good sites for shareware?

ANSWERING ANY ONE OF THE THREE QUESTIONS I HAVE ABOVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU. Hey, I'm pretty confused. I've got Mandrake Linux 8.0 installed, but I can't figure out what I need to do to install new applications. I have the KDE desktop installed.

1.) Once I download a file where should I untar/ungzip the file to and do I need to put the executable portion of the application in my /etc/profile "path" so that I can open the application on call?
2.) Should I be looking for X11 download links? What is "X11"?
3.) Do you know any good sites for shareware?

ANSWERING ANY ONE OF THE THREE QUESTIONS I HAVE ABOVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU. [thumbsup]

1) you can untar anywhere.....if you install correctly everything will be where it should be

2) X11 (or X or XF86) is the graphical server for Linux. You don't need to download specifically for X. If it's a linux program it will probably be for X anyway.

3) Try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back