Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReportStudio C8 - show or hide groups of columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahali

Technical User
Jan 30, 2007
DE
Hi there,

again facing a problem, which is starting to make me want to throw things through the office :-(
I would like to create a report, which shows certain columns or hides them, e.g.:
we have a product hierarchy and the user should be able to choose down to which level he would like to see the levels with their revenue - only level a oder level a and b or level a,b and c. I know how to hide one single column, but have not found a solution to hide more than one column with a single prompt selection - I would like to use option-buttons for that.
Is there a simple way to do this which I have not seen yet?

Thank you very much for your help and have a nice day,

Mahali

Can you create the solution by using the variable area? Create conditions and associate prompts to the items of the conditions and determine conditions of hidden columns with those choices.

CP [cook]

Finally we have found a solution: hiding the columns by using variables and conditions turned out to be quite tricky and got us all confused in the end.
What we now did is the following: we created four blocks, one for each different view and the use a string variable to show or hide one of these blocks depending on the users choice.
Quite simple, so I am asking myself, why I have not come to this conclusion earlier, but that's a developer's fate I guess ;-)

Greetings,
Mahali

Hello,

I am not sure that this solution is adequate and I think CognosProfessional's one is better for performance.

Indeed, even if I'm not sure about that, I think that every list put in a conditional block is calculated, which is quite bad as far as performance is concerned.

With CognosProfessional's solution, you have only one list generated, with columns conditionnaly rendered.

==> You can use the same String Variable you've created with the "Render Variable property" of the columns.

CognosProfessional's solution is valuable when you want to hide some columns in a List. Hiding columns in a Crosstab is a completely different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back