Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reportsmith unable to write to TEMP directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanz

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2008
GB
Hello all,

We're using Reportsmith 4.2 that came bundled with ADP's PC/Payroll software and we're having a strange problem that ADP is basically refusing to help us with any further. There is one particular report that gives us an "Invalid Field Type Error" on some computers the error referencing the C:\adp\rptsmith\temp\~ida1, if you click okay on that you get a second similar error and clicking okay on that ends with an "internal system error unable to create IDAPI table" I've played with the permissions on the folder for hours to no avail, I've installed Reportsmith on other computers with the same results, but the weird thing is there is an existing install of Reportsmith that will run the report with no errors, and is identical to the system where the problem was originally found. We're all running windows XP Professional. the ~ida1 part of the errors increment, i.e. ~ida2, ida3 etc... as many times as you run the report. Reportsmith Support will go no further than confirming reportsmiths correct operation and ADP will go no further than insisting there is a problem with the workstation, to which I was going to build the user a new system but after assembly and software flashing, I installed reportsmith and received the same error..

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

Can you delete the .lck files in your profile?

John Sakalauskas
VantageIS,LLC

John, thanks for the suggestion, I deleted what .lck files there were, and still having the same results.

That usually does the trick for the IDAPI error.
Another idea is checking the TempDataPath value in the INI file to make sure it's a valid folder.

Since you mentioned one workstation being fine, it implies something which could differ from workstation to workstation like permissions. Can you check your permissions on the Reportsmith folders, ini files, and pdoxusrs.net?

If you were having a GPF type error, I'd be inclined to suggest issues due to the service pack or IE that result in a different XP kernel.

John

Thanks again for your input John. I believe the reports author is in the process of modifying a similar report that we know will run on the machines in question. The TempDataPath is a valid folder, makes no difference if I change it to another folder, the errors persist, however, if I delete the folder I get, understandably, an invalid directory error.

I checked permissions, and went so far as to copy the exact permission configuration on the working workstation, with no change, errors persist. I tried turning simple file sharing on and off etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back