Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReportSmith: Row Limit When Exporting to Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2006
US
What I ran into is that when I exported the data to Excel, there seemed to be a very low record number limit that you could export. I believe it was less than about 10,000 rows.

The way we were getting to Excel was with a file, save as after the report had run.

Perhaps this was not the correct method for exporting? It was very cumbersome to have to divide the report into so many segments by the first letter of the last name.
Is this a known problem, or is there a better way to save it Excel to avoid this row limit?

If we were exporting the wrong way, would someone mind doing a step by step?
The client is on ADP with an Oracle backend.

Thanks

I would change the format to comma delimited. It will save faster and excel will still know how to open it. You will still run into a max number of records issue at about 32768 (ish) records. ReportSmith has allways had this limit.

Another way is to use a macro. Please check out this power point. About 3/4 of the way into it I show how to do this with a macro.

CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft - SAP
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query - Access
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

I believe the export (Save As) limits for ReportSmith v4.2 are:

Excel (XLS) = 16,310 records
Comma Delimited (CSV) = 31,999 records
Data Interchange Format (DIF) = 65,000 records

So if your report is under 32,000 you can save as a CSV and if under 65,000 you can save as a DIF. Since Excel will open either format you can come very close the Excel hard limit of 65,536 records doing a save as in ReportSmith by using the other file type options.

Thanks RSHelp

Do you work for SRS? Where did you get your numbers?

CharlesCook.com
ADP - PeopleSoft - SAP
ReportSmith - Crystal Reports - SQR - Query - Access
Reporting - Interfaces - Data Mining

Charles,

I work at ADP; not in the ReportSmith dept but help them out sometimes. The export limitation numbers I posted came from our internal knowledgebase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back