Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reports that will do hierarchy recordsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collin

Programmer
Jul 18, 1999
US
Anyone have any suggestions?

Caught my intrest, but what the #@)* are you talking about???

VB Data Report designer will not do hieraretical(sp) recordsets, I was asking if anyone knew of a report designer that can handle them, either one from Data Enviroment or from a Shaped SQL statement.

OK. Forgive my ignorance, I've been a VB Pro for quite a few years, but I'v never heard the term hieraretical(sp) recordsets. What are they, what would one look like, and how do you go about acquiring one? Give code/examples here.

Well..to avoid my spelling , lets just call them H recordsets, The easiest way to get one is in the Data Environment Designer. The are made by adding a command to a command and then relating a field in the parent command to a field in the child command.

They basically return a recordset where one (or more) of the fields returned is the recordset returned from the child command.
You can also role your own, the SQL statement would look like this ;
SHAPE {SELECT * FROM `Titles`} AS cmmTitles APPEND ({SELECT * FROM `Title Author`} AS cmdTitleAuthors RELATE 'ISBN' TO 'ISBN') AS cmdTitles
writing your own involves setting a reference to a DLL whose name I forget, can look it up to you if your interested.

The Microsoft Hierarchical FlexGrid Control 6.0 (sp 3 and above I think) was made to display these types of recordsets.

My problem is that the Data Report Designer will not Print/Display these types of recordsets, I'm looking for one that will.

Thanks
Collin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back