Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ReportNet report development best practises

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogjai

Programmer
May 8, 2002
HK
Find A Forum Search Posts (Keyword) Thread Number Threads by Handle Search FAQs (Keyword) Search Links (Keyword) Find An Expert Advanced Search

Home > Forums > Project and Data Management > Data Management Programming Tools > Cognos solutions Forum
Customize ReportNet login page
thread401-937465
Forum Search FAQs Links Jobs

Read
This Thread
E-mail It
Print It Next
Thread

spicysudhi (Programmer) 20 Oct 04 9:57
hi

got a requirement to put some important notice (like site maintenance) to users on cognos connection login page.

where to modify to get the things done?

thanks in advance.

regards,
sudhi

Thank spicysudhi
for this valuable post!

Inappropriate post?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

Find A Job or Post a Job Opening Click Here.
cindyw (TechnicalUser) 20 Oct 04 15:55
To change the words on the “Cognos Connection”, you’ll have to modify the system.xml file. This file is on the app server at /crn/templates/ps/portal/system.xml

First make a backup of this file on the server.

FTP the file to a workstation and edit in Notepad.

Replace “Cognos Connection” text with the text you want, and make any other needed changes. You can also make other modifications...for example, to Hide the Query Studio Option, add the following 3 lines under <system>

<param name="ui_hide">
<CRN_HEADER_OPTIONS_qs show="Administrators"/>
</param>

Save, and ftp back to the app server.

Thank cindyw
for this valuable post!

Inappropriate post?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

spicysudhi (Programmer) 21 Oct 04 2:13
cindyw, thans for the details.

I have made those kind of changes to the portal. What I am looking for is to add some extra text or a link on the "login page". This is where I want to post the information for the users.

regards,
sudhi

Thank spicysudhi
for this valuable post!

Inappropriate post?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

cindyw (TechnicalUser) 22 Oct 04 16:27
I added this to my system.xml to add a new link in the top right corner (where the report studio & query studio links are located).

<param name="ui_add">
<CRN_HEADER_OPTIONS>
<item>
<url> <target>_blank</target>
<label xml:lang="en">Database SignOn Application</label>
<tooltip xml:lang="en">Use to set a database signon</tooltip>
<label xml:lang="fr">Google</label>
<tooltip xml:lang="fr">Google</tooltip>
<label xml:lang="de">Google</label>
<tooltip xml:lang="de">Google</tooltip>
<label xml:lang="ja">Google</label>
<tooltip xml:lang="ja">Google</tooltip>
<icon>action_search.gif</icon>
</item>
</CRN_HEADER_OPTIONS>
</param>

Thank cindyw
for this valuable post!

Inappropriate post?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

spicysudhi (Programmer) 23 Oct 04 4:24
i am sorry, i think i am not able to make u understand what i am asking for.

When a user tries to access the cognos connection (which is secured) he is being asked for the authentication (user name and password). I want to edit that screen.

Adding a link in the cognos connection on top row or in actions list or somewhere we can do in system.xml.

But i am asking to make change in the Login page itself, NOT a link to login page.

I want to post a message next to Login button on login page saying site will be down from date to date and so on.

regards,
sudhi

Thank spicysudhi
for this valuable post!

Inappropriate post?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

cindyw (TechnicalUser) 26 Oct 04 13:01
Ah..I get what you want. There has to be a page somewhere for the login, but I haven't really looked for/found it yet. I'd just start clicking on webcontent stuff till you find it.

Thank cindyw
for this valuable post!

Inappropriate post?
If so, Red Flag it!

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

cogjai (Programmer) 8 Mar 05 12:43
Hi

We are going to implement a ReportNet project. We need ReportNet report development best practises.I would like to receive a link or any document regarding the Report Studio report development best practises. Any thing on formattting, SQL etc...

Thanks

You could write your own login page, just set a value called cam_passport before you redirect to reportnet. If a session times out the user will still be sent to the original login page. Also, nothing will stop a user from going to the original login page if they know the URL.

If you want to change any of the existing functionality you have to write your own interface. With a few exceptions you cannot modify the functionality of the existing environment without breaking your support agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back