Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reportnet Parameters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandwaits

Programmer
Oct 18, 2005
US
Hi Everybody,

I'm using Reportnet MR2 and oracle 9i for creating reports.My scenario is like this, the report should display contents based on the filters. When i hard-ode the values in the filter i'm getting the result what i need. ( say based on region, area etc). Now i tried creating prompt which lets the user to choose the filter value. Now the system takes long time and it didn't even shows the prompt page. (It's still running)

I will appreciate if anyone help in this issue.
Thanks in advance
anand

Assuming you are using a selection prompt (as opposed to a type in prompt), i'd look at revising the query that is building the prompt control - the poor performance sounds like reportnet is trawling through a large table trying to retrieve the unique values to build the prompt control.

You should also check that your filters (in the query) are set to required and not optional.

J

Hey JGirl,

I've created a value prmpt. But it cognos automatically displays a type -in prompt.

The poor performance is as you said bcoz of the size of the table which contains 1 million records. Is there any workaround to display the unique values to be displayed in the prompt.

thanks
anand.

Firstly, you can change the type of prompt that reportnet generates by default by changing one of the properties for the data item in framework manager.

You could try to edit the query that populates the prompt control by auto grouping and summarizing (so that the sql generates a 'select distinct' clause......which you would probably need to use anyway as reportnet has a limit on the number of records that can be used to populate some types of prompts....

J

use a tabaular SQL to create a query that will populate the prompts. Filter evrything out in that tabular sql's where clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back