Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reportnet content Store SQL Server 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanuss

Programmer
Feb 4, 2003
US
Hi,
My OS is Win-XP Pro with SP2, and DB is MS SQL server 2000. I am trying to install Cognos Reportnet 1.1 and configure. I have logged on to DB as "SA" and created "CRN" Database. I have used TYPE = Microsoft SQL Server Database; Database Server and Port Number = localhost:1433; User ID and Password = sa and appropriate password; Database Name = CRN. This has not created any content Repository tables. I am trying very hard to fix this issue. I have created the 'CRN' Database with collation sequence "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS". Can you somebody explain what I need to do to correct configure the Content Store.
Thanks in advance
Jay [neutral]

Is your SQL Server database set up for both Windows and Sql Server authentication or Windows only? Are you installing everything on one server or is this a multi-server configuration? Lastly, is there only one SQL Server instance on the machine?

You should be able to find some error messages in crnserver.log that should help out. Posting one of those may help resolve the issue. Make sure you take it from the bottom as the file is appended to.

Hi I found the solution for this. Thought, It will be helpful to some body who reads this thread. The Actual problem is with SP2 and SQL server 2000 compatibility. The firewall of SP2 is blocking the default ports of SQL Server and not allowing the connections to the database. the solution is either un install SP2 or install service pack 3a for SQL server 2000. If you install servicepack 3a for SQL server it opens the default ports. you can check whether the ports are listerning or not by typing in the query analyzer the following command, XP_readerrorlog. the result will show you the listening ports. Rest is has to follow the configuration instructions of the software. Good luck. If you still drive into problems, please post your message here. I will try to provide any help, if I can. Good Luck..[thumbsup2]

Glad you got it solved. You can/could also configure the firewall properties to allow those ports to go through. This is for those who can't upgrade. Just go to control panel -> Security center -> Windows Firewall. Click the Exceptions tab and add the ports.

*Disclaimer: This is how you do it for the versions of windows that have done the upgrade that included the security center. I think XP SP1 might have been where XP picked up the security center, not sure on other versions of Windows. For those, you can still edit the ports blocked for the firewall so you can allow the SQL Server ports through. I believe you just need to go to Properties of the firewall to do this, but it has been awhile since I didn't have Security Center (XP at home + XP at work = no other versions of Windows to play with).

*Edit

If no Security Center, you need to go to the properties of a network connection, then click the Windows Firewall or Firewall tab (not sure which it says) and then I believe I remember there being a properties button that takes you to where you can configure the Firewall.

Sorry for the extra post, thought it might be handy to tell you how to get to the firewall properties since I skipped a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back