Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reporting Three Very Badly Joined Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombplayer

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I am writing a report on a proprietary software platform in SQL that has a very weird table structure. Basically, I have these fields to work with:

Table 1: School Name, School ID
Table 2: Student,Student ID, Advert ID, School ID, Lead Date
Table 3: Advertising Cost, Advert ID, School ID, Ad Date

Table 2 and Table 3 could have entries that are not included in the other table.

I need to compile a report that shows:

School Name
Advert ID
Number of Students Sum of Advertising Cost

Both of these sums need to be within a date range submitted by the user where lead date in date range and ad date in date range and totalled at the bottom of the report. I have tried a SQL subquery for both to no avail. I can get the report to report all students but will not report all costs (if there are no students associated with it) or vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

SELECT Table1.School Name, Table2.AdvertID AS "AdvertID", COUNT(Table2.Studentid) AS "NumberOfStudents", Sum(Table3.Advertising Cost) FROM (Table2 INNER JOIN Table1 ON Table1.SchoolID = Table2.SchoolID) LEFT JOIN Table3 on Table2.AdvertID = Table3.AdvertID
GROUP BY Table1.School Name, Table2.AdvertID
UNION
SELECT Table1.School Name, Table3.AdvertID AS "AdvertID", 0 AS "NumberOfStudents", Sum(Table3.Advertising Cost) FROM
Table3 INNER JOIN Table1 on Table3.SchoolID = Table1.SchoolID WHERE Table3.AdvertID NOT IN
(SELECT DISTINCT AdvertID FROM Table2)
GROUP BY Table1.School Name, Table3.AdvertID

Didn't get my there but got me going in the right direction. Thanks a mill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back