Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reporting Services (SQL Server) on IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
We have an issue with Reporting Services (SQL Server 2000) running on IIS 6.
We've got reports deployed onto the web server and we can access them via the internal intranet.
When we attempt to access these from the outside world (via our we have it fail on us - regardless of the fact that we log-in with the same user-name / password as when we access it via the intranet.
Does anyone who makes use of this forum make use of Reporting Services on IIS who might be able to shed some light on this ?
I didn't want to go into too much detail and have it all fall on deaf ears if no-one has made use of Reporting Services.
Any clues or pointers would be greatly (!) appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Steve

I have run into this same problem. Accessing reports internally works fine but when I come in from the Internet there is problems. I am able to log into RS and get all the way to a report but when I click on the report I get a "Page not found" error. I have noticed in the status bar that the path it is looking for is referencing an internal server name .. ie I am not sure how to solve this. I see you posted in Nov 2004 .. have you figured this problem out yet? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

We never did get this resolved in all honesty.
When we attempt to run the reports internally via //servername/reportServer we are able to view and run the report.
However, if we try to access the same report via < we're able to see the report listing directory but it always hangs on the 'Report is being generated' screen.

We're currently running the Reporting Services evaluation edition along with RS Service pack 1 on our Windows 2003 server (per cpu licensing).
SQL Server 2000 Developer edition is also installed on our server.

To simplify our testing, we've removed as many variables as possible and prepared a very simple report based on the 'Northwind' database and deployed this onto our central web server - this then gives us the same issue (with the report hanging on the 'Report is being generated' screen).
We are presuming that the issue may be one related to permissions (or the like) on the web server, and were hoping that once solved on the simple 'Northwind' report, the other(s) would follow suit.
The report's data component connection has been set to use a profile with the required permissions on the database (similarly we've used the 'sa' profile with the same result).
We've tried the following suggestions (based on web research and forum replies) :
- Modifying the <ReportServerUrl>, <ReportServerExternalUrl> and <ReportServerVirtualDirectory> settings in the configuration files.
- Modifying permissions on the physical ReportServer directory.
- As we're behind a hardware firewall, the server was briefly set as a DMZ.
Each change has left us with the same issue.
Clearly this is proving to be a hurdle for us at the moment - we've been scouring the web for similar issues and making various posts on a number of forums, attempting each of the recommended suggestions.

But we still remain without an answer. :-(

Steve

I feel your frustration as I am in the same situation. I too have posted on a couple forums and will definately share what I am able to find out. It definately has something to do with the server name and how the report server references the path to the reports.

Thanks. I'd appreciate feedback on any of your findings ....
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Well I have found some info that may be of help in solving this external access to Reporting Services problem we have. It appears that there is a parameter in one of the configuration files for specifying the external URL. But, it also appears that this parameter is only supported in the Enterprise version of Reporting Services. Here is the link to the article on Microsoft's MSDN site .. At the bottom of the page you will see a section called "Deploying a Report Server for Internet Access". I have tried adding the parameter to my configuration file but I get an error when accessing Reporting Services saying the parameter is not supported. Looks like I will be going another route, most likely building a web page that will pass all the report parameters via querystring directly to a report. This option bypasses Report Manager and renders reports to a web page. Just more work for me to build all the web page functionality we need .. unless I can get a SQL Enterprise purchase approved .. fat chance since that will cost around $10k! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back